Fundamentals of Software Testing for Embedded Systems
About this Course
|Course Type||Course Code||Duration|
|Embedded Software||TC201||2 Days|
Testing is a vital aspect of verifying the design of a software system. This is especially true in a real-time embedded environment, where the system may be subject to strict safety or reliability requirements.
Why Attend this Course?
This course introduces the concepts and practice of testing embedded software across the entire development lifecycle. It covers testing software in an embedded environment and is a mixture of lectures and practical exercises.
Attendees will also perform practical exercises in software verification and Agile development practices.
What Makes this Course Stand Apart?
What you will Learn?
How to create their own test harnesses
The use of test harnesses for embedded systems
Integration testing using test doubles
How to develop in a Test-Driven Development style
The course is designed for software engineers working in an embedded, real-time environment. The target audience is engineers who have to create and also test their own code. The course is also highly beneficial for test engineers new to software testing in a real-time environment.
Attendees should have a good working knowledge of the C language, and experience of simple programming structures: Linked lists, arrays, etc
Why do we test?
- Measuring confidence in a product.
- How and why errors occur in software.
- Testing as quality improvement.
- The language of testing
The Swiss Cheese model:
- Being effective in your testing
- A layered approach to testing
- The principles of test harness construction.
- Test harness tools
- Introduction to the Unity test suite
- Functional testing with Unity
Black Box Testing:
- The principles of black-box testing
- Test Conditions
- Test Cases
- Test Procedures
Systematic Black Box Testing:
- The problems with ad-hoc test creation.
- The Classification Tree Analysis method.
- Software integration techniques
- The problems with black-box testing during integration
- Test stubs
- Mock objects
- Introduction to the CMock test suite
- Create mock objects
- Integration testing with mocks
- The principles of white-box testing
- Coverage metrics
- The problems of white-box testing
Static Analysis – The Compiler:
- The compilation process
- The compiler’s semantic analysis capabilities
- The limitations of the compiler
Static Analysis- Data Flow Analysis:
- Data usage in software
- D-U Path analysis
Static Analysis – Coding Standards:
- Coding standards
- Style guides
Static Analysis – Tools:
- Types of static analysis tool
- Selecting a tool
- Problems with SA tools
Agile Processes and Testing:
- Agile software development
- Test-driven design
- The ‘Russian Doll’ model
- Continuous Integration
- When to perform testing
- Create a test plan
What next- How do I arrange a group course or book a public place.?
We are here to help so please utilise our live chat team
Call to speak to your account manager or a consultant on
+44 (0)345 467 9557 or email email@example.com
We are all technical with a wealth of Learning & Development experience
so can talk you through any specific requirements or the details of
one of our courses.